Come and see us at our new blog address-

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Left My Heart In New York City

I have been back from my trip for about 36 hours now, and I already miss the city. I can't wait to go back again one day. Here is my New York City Top Ten (in no particular order):

1. The Lion King.... and Wicked. They were both my favorite. I can't believe the talent on those stages. I was blown away by the costuming and set for the Lion King, and Elpheba was incredible in Wicked. We also saw Young Frankenstein and Xanadu.

2. The Atlantic Ocean. I fell in love with the ocean on a trip to Seattle as a kid. I couldn't wait to put my toes in the Atlantic. There's just a feeling there that you can't explain. It's so vast and reaching, and I am so small.

3. The Manhattan Temple. A big group of us went to do baptisms. My Mom took a family name that one of the girls, Chelsea, was able to be baptised and confirmed for. The spirit was so strong, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I'm so glad we took the time out to go.

4. Radio City Music Hall. Our tour guide was wonderfully entertaining! It is awesome to be in such an important theater. We even got to meet a real Rockette and have our picture taken with her. It's such a beautiful building- absolutely everything in there was designed by artists, and it shows.

5. The Statue of Liberty. She is so beautiful. She really does represent all that we stand for in America. I loved being in the middle of all that history.

6. The food. Talk about good dining! I never had a bad meal. I especially loved the cheesecake from Junior's, the red velvet cupcake from Dean & Deluca, and the sugar free treats from Babycakes. I don't think I've ever eaten so much in my entire life!

7. Central Park. My Mom and I rented some bikes and rode around the entire park. What was it that made it so interesting? It poured BUCKETS on us! We tried to escape it for a minute, but we only had an hour on the bikes, so we just ended up riding through. I literally ruined my shoes and my underwear, but it was worth it.

8. The Top of the Rock. We visited Rockefeller Center and went to the top for the view. It was stunning! The city is so huge, and it was nice to actually be able to see the tops of the buildings. The architecture in that city is so incredible.

9. Helping dreams come true. My friend Andra's little girl, RyLeigh, was on the trip with us. She went to the American Girl store to maybe buy a doll, but they were all too expensive. I paid for half of a doll so that she could get one. The look in her eyes was priceless.

10. Being with my Mommy. I was so glad that she could come with me and we could have this experience together. Even though I'm pretty sure I drove her nuts, I think she still loves me after the trip ended.
A few things I won't miss about the city:
1. The smells. There was a point in China Town that it smelled like fish, bleach and sewer. Gag.
2. Being exhausted because of the time change.
3. Feeling claustrophobic because of all of the people at times (china town, and Friday night in Times Square).
4. How expensive all of the food is!
5. The humidity. I never felt clean and it made me angry.
I missed Dallas and Will like crazy! It is good to be home to peace and quiet, and it is even better to be with them. Thanks again to everyone that helped me get to New York!

22 comments:

Trent and Whit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trent and Whit said...

Wow Amy, it looks like you did it all! sounds like you had a wonderful time :) Glad you're home!

Susan, Blain & kids said...

It sounded like you had an experience of a lifetime. I have always wanted to go. Ihope all is well with you and your family.

The Harveys said...

How exciting!! I am simply jealous. I can't believe you went to New York. Was this really one of those "fake" trips were you take pictures of yourself and phototshop them to "look" like New York- really you hid out in someone's garage or something? I missed you.

cole linnae said...

dear amylee-

you are so cute. and the picture of you and your mom soakin is my absolute favorite. hahaha i looove you

Nelson said...

Welcome home.
Glad to see you had such a great time, then again...how could you not, it is New York we are talking about.

Trent and Steph said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I am glad you got to go.

kalie said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time! I am so glad you finally got to go... you and your mom are my favorite. But next time, I'm coming! It's a plan as far as I'm concerned.

marciea casselman said...

I didn't realize that you were going with your mom. What a treat! New York is a wonderful place to visit but you really don't want to live there. I'm so glad that you had the opportunity to go.

Laurel said...

I can't believe you are back already...time goes by too quickly. I put some of your pictures on my website...hope that's okay. New York is so much fun.

Tyler and Laura said...

So Much fun. I am glad that you got to go. You so deserved it! Memories last a lifetime, write it all down! I took no pictures, but going back through my journal reminds me how amazing the city really is!

Megan Maree Walker Boehm said...

How fun!!! I am so jealous!! Didn't you just LOVE wicked?? I saw them in Denver and am seeing it again when they come to SL in April. Looks like you had a fantastic time

Erin said...

I am so glad you had such a good time. I really did think about you guys! That made is so memorable that your mom could come with you. I say, one day, we go together! Deal?

Amanda said...

Three words. I AM JEALOUSE. Need I say more?... didn't think so.
Mand

Ashley said...

Wow! Looks like an awesome trip. I am jealous.

sNick said...

The music and the pictures on your blog are making me miss the states! Tomorrow will be 50 days that I've been in Europe! It looks like you had an AMAZING trip. Wanting it really bad makes it even better. If you ever make it up to Kaysville I'd love to see more pictures.

Rachelle said...

I love New York! I am so glad you got to experiance that with your mom, my mom and I did that the month before our second year down at SUU and we too had a blast! I loved the pics! You need to make a slide show and post the rest!!! I want to see them!

Nate, Cami and Crew said...

Can't wait to see all of your pictures tomorrow! I am happy that you finally got to go and experience NYC. Love you.

*~Sarah~* said...

Looks like so much fun! Im glad you got to go. Love the rain pictures!

The Beckstrom's said...

Looks like you had a blast. Clay mentioned you guys were there. I love NY. that was one of my most memorable vacations. To be able to share it with you mom is realy special.

Addie May said...

I'm so glad that you got to go! Looks like you had tons of fun. That would be awesome to go there someday! Welcome home!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! I LOVE the pics. It gives me a lot to look forward to when I go there next month for rehearsals. I need to go see some shows for sure...but I don't even know where to begin. Can you help me? I love you and am glad you made it back safe. Tell your mom I say hello! ♥