Come and see us at our new blog address-

Friday, April 27, 2012

Girl's Day and Marathons

Last weekend we got to go and cheer on my sister-in-law Leslee as she completed her first marathon- the Salt Lake Marathon.  It was beyond gorgeous all day, and Annie was so happy to come with me for a Girl's Day.  (Girl's Days are Annie's favorite- anytime we aren't with Will or Dad, we are having a Girl's Day and it is instant fun!)

Annie and Kenny patiently waited for Leslee to come down the stretch towards the finish line.
 Watching someone complete a marathon is an amazing experience.  As I watched the runners pass I could see nothing but determination; in spite of the heat, the pain, and the fatigue, they knew they had something greater ahead of them to push towards.  Marathons are such a great metaphor for life.

After watching Leslee, Annie and I walked down to The Gateway with my friend Nicki for lunch.  Along the way we passed a guy that was hanging out by the fountain with his python; without skipping a beat, Annie just walked right up to pet the snake!  She's a pretty timid girl, so I was shocked when she wasn't afraid of this stranger and his snake.  Cities are filled with the most interesting people.



 I have been training for my own marathon coming up next month.  This training cycle has been riddled with problems- shin splints, neuromas, and IT Band Syndrome have made it a struggle.  I've been really blessed with a positive attitude and a desire to keep moving forward. I know I'll be able to run the race to the best of my ability right now.  I've learned that it's so important to not compare yourself to even a former version of yourself;  what you are in the middle of right now is where your head must be.  It's no use focusing on the past or the "what ifs".  The only thing you can do is hold your head up, say a prayer, and put one foot in front of the other.
Bruised IT Band from Astym by my physical therapist.

3 comments:

marciea casselman said...

I just read the last few posts. You have some great stuff going on. Good luck with your marathon and good luck being soccer parents.

Erin said...

While it bruises and hurts, Astym really does make life better. Congrats to your sister in law! I can't wait to see you cross the finish line in a few weeks! I will probably cry...again.

Nate, Cami and Crew said...

My sisters truly inspire me! Thank you and love you.